Requirements to reserve a seat include:
- Passing a Background check
- Signing a Liability waiver
- Paying fee of $30 cash or check
- Providing Proof of Residency or Business in Berthoud
Berthoud Fire Protection District invites you to go “Back to school” in their first Citizen’s Academy
Berthoud Fire is opening wide it’s fire engine red doors to the community. We are giving citizens a chance to see first-hand how their fire service aims to give the highest quality service to maintain the safety of this community, and provide excellent and effective help in time of greatest need.
Our first Citizen’s Academy will be held this fall and will be an eye-opening experience to all who participate. Fire Chief Stephen Charles and all the staff at the Fire District invite you to take part in this amazing opportunity to learn about the operations, skills, values, roles and responsibilities of the District staff. You as a citizen will have the opportunity to ask questions, get to know our firefighting staff, and become informed citizens about complexities the fire service faces.
This 7-week long academy will be held once a week on Wednesday nights. The engaging weekly courses will include informative classroom sessions and exciting hands-on demonstrations.
- Session 1: Meet the Command and Operational staff of your fire service, get a tour of both stations, and learn about the overall operations of a fire department.
- Session 2: Learn from our firefighters the skills, hazards, and approaches to motor vehicle accidents.
- Session 3: Learn about fire behavior and see a demonstration of a house fire and the tactics used by firefighters.
- Session 4: We will demonstrate the relationship between the many interagency partnerships with law enforcement, paramedics, and dispatch.
- Session 5: Presentations will be from our Peer Support Counselor and Larimer Emergency Telephone Authority.
- Session 6: Hear from our expert wildland, dive, and rescue crews about the scope of their responsibility.
- Session 7: We will detail hazmat and emergency medical operations.
- Field day: Firefighting activities including spraying a fire hose, operating a fire truck, a bunker gear obstacle course, and climbing a truck ladder!!!!
Citizens’ who complete the academy will receive a certificate and acceptance into the academy alumni.
The Citizen’s Academy is for Berthoud residents or business owners, age 18 and older. Applicants must pass a background check. A fee of $30 will help cover the cost of materials, a t-shirt, and lunch on the field day. Classes will be held Wednesdays September 5 through October 17th from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. And one Saturday field day on October 20th from 9:00 am to 1:00 p.m. All classes will take place at station 1 or 2 in Berthoud.
Seats are extremely limited so sign up early. To register email email@example.com. Payment and background disclosure are required at time of registration.